Friday, October 22, 2010

Axle bearings and seals

Since I had the axle shafts removed I decieded it would be a good time to replace the outer axle bearings and seals. I ordered the parts for a 1964 C-10 from LMC. Unfortunately when I went to test fit the seal it was way too small. It is the correct part for a '64 but I have now discovered my truck has a newer rear-end. After doing some measuring with the calipers and research on Timkin's web site I found out I need a seal for a 1965-1979 12 bolt. The bearing I bought will work because Chevy used the same bearing from 1962 through 1989. I was able to pick up the correct seal at Autozone and take advantage of their free tool rental. I rented a nice 5 lb side hammer and bearing puller attachment. It made quick work of pulling the old bearing.

 The black seal is the '64 and the red seal is the '65.

No comments: